The historical facade of the former foundry shop of the ZIL Plant was illegally demolished, reports Department of Cultural Heritage of Moscow.
The history of foundry shop began along with history of the plant. The architect Alexander Kuznetsov constructed the building in 1916. It was renovated in the 30ies. The building of the foundry shop stunned with its sizes and was called a monument of industrial architecture.
The building had no status of a monument, but was located in a security zone. Last year, Moscow’s government commission passed the decision on preservation of the facade of the foundry shop – to perceive the unity of architectural composition with the main building of the ZIL Plant. There were plans to build a hotel on a place of the foundry shop, but to keep part of the old building as an example of constructivism.
Administrative investigation concerning the owner of the object – the Matiko Company has begun. The company is threatened by a penalty up to 5 million rubles, and a ban on new construction at the place of the demolished object.
Recall that the territory of the former ZIL Plant is awaiting a large-scale reconstruction. The area will be divided into nine functional parts, which will include inhabited residential districts, business center, parks, a sports cluster, cultural centers and many more. As a result, ZIL will turn into a ‘city in the city’ with available transport infrastructure, workplaces and social objects.