Easter in Russia is one of the most important holidays. The Russian Orthodox Church celebrates Easter according to the Orthodox calendar, and it can occur in April or May. This year Easter comes on the night April 19/20.
Russians celebrate Easter with decorated eggs and special foods and customs. Discover Orthodox Easter traditions during the Easter week In Moscow!
City Festival «Easter in Moscow». April 19 – 27
The second time in Moscow the celebration of the Resurrection will go outside of temples and monasteries, for everyone to meet Easter traditions and participate in a citywide celebration.
75 tents will be installed in Kamergersky and Clementyevsky lanes, on Nicolskaya, Arbat, the Kuznetsky Most streets, Tverskaya and Novopushkinskaya Squares. Creative and cooking classes will be held there daily from 12:00 to 19:00.
At the Kuznetsky Most street you can attend «Peace Table»: master classes in ceramics, pottery, tiles, creating dolls and other crafts. In addition, on April 27 there will be the annual charity festival «Joy of good deeds». Charity fair, auction, concert and exhibition are in the program.
During Easter week in Moscow you can also visit:[qd_list]
- «The Open School of Bell-Ringers» and « Easter Bells » project. The mobile belfry will travel throughout Moscow, making bell-ring at the places where monasteries and temples had been ages ago.
- Street theater artists’ performances.
- Festival «Soroka»: music, sports, cultural and charity events.
- Free screening of more than 50 films about Easter in a cinema network «MosKino».
- Exhibitions dedicated to Easter.
- Lectures about the traditions and history of the holiday, literary readings and poetry readings in Moscow libraries.
- Easter fun in 11 Moscow parks: concerts, games, competitions, master classes and more. Therefore, Sokolniki offers to make “Faberge” eggs installation, and the Hermitage Garden will hold interactive festival for children.
«Easter basket» Charity Project
The festival «Easter in Moscow» started online charity event «Easter basket» at its website.
Money collected during the event will do to low-income families and children with disabilities. Organizers plan to bring them Easter baskets with holiday foods on April 20. If you want to take part in the charity project, you need to bring in any amount of money to «Yandeks.Koshelek “. You can get all the information at the project’s website.
On Easter Night, public transport will work longer.
- On the night of the Passover (April 19 to 20) land public transport in Moscow will run until 03:30.
On Easter Night some buses, trolley buses and trams will go longer in all urban districts.
- The Moscow Metro will work until 02:00.
- Vehicular traffic will be restricted from 06:00 to 18:00 on Leninsky Prospekt, Profsoyuznaya Street, Kievskoe and Kalugskoe highways.